Beef fry is a very delicious and typical Kerala style dish. It can be combined with appam, porotta and nice pathiri etc.
Beef – 1/2 kg, cut into small pieces
Garlic – 10 cloves, smashed or finely chopped
Ginger – 1 small piece, smashed or finely chopped
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Chilli powder – 1 tbsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
Meat masala – 2 tbsp
Onion – 2 nos, sliced finely
Green chilli – 3 nos, Slitted in to two
Shallots – 15 nos, grind and paste
Salt – to taste
Curry leaves – a few
Sliced Coconut – 1 cup
Coconut oil – as required
1. Marinate beef with half amount of the above powders with salt for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Cook beef in a pressure cooker by adding sliced coconut, green chilli and 1 sprig of curry leaves.
3. Wait for 3 whistles to finish, avoid over cooking, we really want 70% cooked beef at this point.
4. Mean while, heat coconut oil in a vessel and add onions and stir well.
5. When onions start to become golden brown, add garlic, ginger and green chilli and shallots paste.
6. Stir it well until onion become golden brown.
7. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, and coriander powder, pepper powder and garam masala.
8. Stir till powders are roasted.
9. Add cooked beef in to vessel with the water came from beef.
10. Boil it until all gravy dries up.
11. Add little oil and curry leaves and fry beef in low flame until beef become brown colour.
12. Serve with Appam, Porotta or rice etc